do you want to know How to Relieve Sciatica Back Pain? then do check out this complete post to learn more.
Sciatica… or ‘back agony leg hell insomnia misery shock fire’ as we know it by, is when the nerve roots in our lumbosacral spines are being compressed. Great.
The fun doesn’t stop there… the sciatic nerve is also the longest and largest nerve in the body… typical… and is usually impinged by a dodgy disc, osteophytes (bone spurs) or spinal stenosis. I know mine is folks.
Relieve Sciatica Back Pain
Let’s cut to the chase, we know we have it… we know what can cause it… but what can we do about it at home? Here’s my tried and tested protocol for relief when it’s relentless… and it’s fairly successful. In order.
- Swear (if there are no children present of course.) Get that frustration out of your system my friend. Swear at your pet (not parrots), your reflection, an irritating neighbor, your in-laws. Now apologize.
- Seriously though… try and relax… breath. Don’t get angry with sciatica, it’ll bite harder and deeper if you tense up, it’s there and we have to try and cope. Back pain gadgets can work wonders, but first and foremost we have to rely on ourselves, the gadgets are always a supplement to this.
- When sciatica is flying down my right leg I lie flat on my back and shift my hips 3-5 inches to the left. Reverse this if your Sciatica is plaguing your left leg. Try and relax for 5-10 mins. Quality music advised.
- After 5-10 mins, I pull my hips back in so I’m aligned then place two soft sponge balls (they’re actually dog toys) on either side of my lumbar region, you’ll instinctively know where they should go. These add a little pressure to my trigger points. I bend my knees, keep them together, and with feet on the floor I gently rock them from side to side for a few minutes. This usually starts feeling good.
- When I’ve brought my pain level down, I slowly turn over and do some gentle cat-cow stretches, I found the perfect video below.
How to Relieve Sciatica Back Pain Video
I know after 30mins if the above is going to work, if it hasn’t alleviated at all I know my sciatica is planning on spending some quality time with me so I implement Phase Two which I’ll create another post for.
In my own experience, it’s always the simplest exercises done regularly that help my back and neck pain.
Stay safe, be groovy