Did you know a small change in your nighttime routine can help you sleep like a baby, not like a maybe? If you’re wondering how to sleep with lower back pain or how to sleep with neck pain, investing in a body pillow may make all the difference, it surprised us.
With so many pillow shapes and brands of pillows available in the market, the information in this article should help you choose the right pillow for a supportive, good night’s sleep.
List of the 6 Different Types of Pillow Shapes
check complete top best 6 different types of pillow shapes.
- Total Body Pillow
- C-Shaped Body Pillow
- U-Shaped Body Pillow
- I-Shaped Body Pillow
- Wedge Body Pillow
- Full Body Pillow
6 different types of pillow shapes
These body pillows wrap you up from both the front and the back. These pillows are extensive in size and cover both your body and belly areas. This leaves your belly intact as the pillow supports your body curves.
These pillows are found in various shapes like C and U-shaped body pillows, which also helps support you while nursing your baby. The problem is that they can be bulky in size, take up a lot of space on your bed and is difficult to move around.
- Provides simultaneous support to your back and belly
- No need of any head pillow while using this pillow
- Rather expensive
- Large and bulky, making it difficult to carry around
C-shaped body pillows are one of the most prominent types of pregnancy pillows. It’s quite similar to a standard straight maternity pillow with the main difference being that the pillow resembles the letter C-shape.
This shape’s perception is to use the pillow in a riding position where you can place its body between your legs while using its top to rest your head. Its unique shape makes the pillow comfortably target your spine while providing relief to the pressures of pregnancy.
However, unlike U-shaped pillows, these pillows target a specific body part and not your general body posture. Moreover, these pillows are designed with a pregnant woman in mind, and may not be your best choice if you are looking for a pillow to deal with back pain and other discomforts.
- It’s a comfortable body pillow providing all the necessary support you need.
- It also supports your baby while breastfeeding.
- It rests your entire body, so there’s no need for investing in an additional pillow.
- The pillow is rather large and bulky when compared to other pillow shapes.
- Not advised to be taken along while travelling
- Rather expensive
The U-shaped body pillow is a more solid pillow option than a C-shaped one. It’s used in the same way as its C-shaped counterpart, but because of its shape, it provides support to both sides of the body and not only the back like the C-shaped pillow.
The U-shaped pillow also supports your entire body, and head, without any need of an additional pillow. The only problem with this pillow is that you have to fit into the available pillow space. For example, the C-shaped pillow has extra space for your belly in front while the U-shaped variant doesn’t.
However, the pillow supports both sides to give you the same effect of sleeping on your back. This is why the U-shaped body pillow is renowned for its flexibility.
- Gives more support for your money than many other pillows.
- It supports both body sides to provide you with the effect of sleeping on your back, especially if you find it difficult sleeping on your back when pregnant.
- Provides comprehensive body support, with additional provisional space for your head
- More expensive than the other shaped pillows
- Its full body design isn’t the easiest to transport.
As far as the I-pillow shape is concerned, the I-shaped body pillow is the most straightforward option. With its simple form, the pillow is easily adjustable to your sleeping needs. You have to shift its position to give you optimum comfort while sleeping. So if you are looking for a full-body pillow that’s easy and convenient to use, then this is just the right pillow for you.
- Unlike other uniquely shaped pillows, this pillow can be adjusted as per your liking
- These pillows are cheaper than other shaped pillows.
- These pillows are rather popular as they are available in various material choices.
- Not suitable for those suffering from particular pain.
5. Wedge Body Pillow
Yes, you’ve guessed it right! These pillows are wedges and are the smallest and cheapest options available. They are perfect for placing under your regular pillow and lifting them to give you additional support.
You can also use these wedges by placing them against your tummy so that you get extra support while sleeping, without any strain on your back. You can also use these wedge pillows against your backs, to help you while you toss and turn while sleeping.
While these pillows are supportive, remember that they can support only a small part of your body. This means you will need a second regular pillow under your head, and perhaps more pillows for additional support while sleeping.
- The pillows are affordable
- Does not take up much space on the bed
- They are small in size, portable
- Can be used to provide support to both your back and belly
- Supports only a small portion of the body
- It would help if you had an additional pillow to support your head while sleeping.
6. Full Body Pillow
These pillows provide support to your entire body as they run the length of your body. There is no need for multiple pillows for a comfortable night’s sleep as a single pillow is more than sufficient.
The full body pillow comes in two types- a straight version that covers your body and a flexible version that can be bent and used as per your needs. It’s generally better to buy the flexible versions as they come with microbeads that provide adequate comfort to your body.
- A pregnancy pillow that is big enough to support the entire body
- No need of an additional pillow for head support
- A single unit is more than enough
- Uses lots of space on the bed
- Not meant for use by back sleepers
Follow us on Facebook